Friday, October 5, 2012

Midterms and Choosing the right Classes!

I'm approaching the end of September here and realized that I haven't written much on my school work and explained any differences in grading scales. First of all, I forgot to mention that I took an entry test when I first arrived in Sevilla which ranked me as an intermediate 1 Spanish speaker. For those who know me, this may come as a surprise considering I'm a fluent Spanish speaker, but I have actually never taken a Spanish class. I've learned all my Spanish from my parent's who are first generation immigrants, in fact, I learned Spanish before learning English, but never received any formal education on grammar or spelling. Regardless of this, I just wanted to mention that my situation is actually quite common. After speaking with the program administrators, they mentioned that they see a large number of Hispanics fall into this same category, and that I should not be deterred from trying to take classes outside of my skill set.

Overall, I'm really satisfied with the classes I'm taking and it is all because I chose and was encouraged to challenge myself. My test score actually discouraged me at first from selecting classes that i thought were out of my skill set, but my program administrators were quick to mention that I would not learn as much if I chose the easy route. In fact, one of my professors actually refused to let me stay in a lower level class and suggested I take a literature or writing class taught completely in Spanish. Furthermore, the program administrators ensured me that my Spanish was actually on par with higher class levels.

On another note, the grading system is slightly different here as well. The grading scale is on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being the highest and translating to an "A" at an American university. The course load, such as required readings, homework, and such, are actually on par with my home university. I will, however, mention that most professors offer some leeway on your Spanish skills. They are conscious that you are not an expert in this language and are prone to mistakes, so don't be afraid to ask for help or question. However, this does not mean that they will not challenge you and at times will wait on you as you figure out a pronunciation or translation. This can be nerve racking at times, but it's actually a great feeling when your able to overcome this small obstacle.

All in all, I just want to reiterate that choosing the best classes for your trip abroad should be based  lot more than just your skill level and comfort. If you really want to learn, grow, and become more proficient in a other language then you must challenge yourself. Don't be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone, because you still have professors and faculty that are always willing to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment