Sunday, September 30, 2012

Day Trip to Malaga!

I know it's only been 3 days since my last post, but so much has happened in such a small amount of time. To start off with, ISA, my study abroad program, scheduled a day trip to the coastal city of Malaga, last Friday. I know a lot of people were looking forward to enjoying the beach and whatever else Malaga offered, but some much needed rain may have led to a change of plans. Regardless, I really enjoyed my time there and learned some pretty interesting things.

Picasso Museum

Pictures aren't allowed in the Picasso Museum, so hopefully this will serve as proof that I was there.

I really have to say that I have a new found respect for the artistic style of Picasso. I've never really been a fan, merely on the opinion that his artwork seems like something anybody could do, but a nice tour of this place really gave me a new outlook on the originality and revolutionary ways of Picasso.

La Manguita

We also visited "la Manguita" or the one armed lady. It's called this because one of its two towers was never completed. The reason the second tower was never completed is also due to the United States. Spain used the money that would have been used to construct the second tower to help the US reach its independence. The U.S. also tried to pay the money back, but the nickname and uniqueness of "La Manguita" has become such a staple of the Malaga community that they refused to build the second tower.
The plaque thanking Malaga from the U.S.



You can also check out a lot more pictures here: More Pictures!



No comments:

Post a Comment